I've decided to set up a blog to help keep everyone updated on Lynn's progress. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and kind thoughts. Since I haven't always been able to answer each of your calls and texts, you can get updates on the blog. Please feel free to comment as I will be sharing this blog with Lynn as he recovers.

Also, posts before March 28 will say they were posted by my daughter because we set up the blog under her email address.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I haven't been getting home until late and I haven't had that much to say. Unfortunately, when I don't post, people think that there must be something wrong, so I apologize. There really isn't too much to tell. On Monday the doctors will be inserting a PEG tube which is a feeding tube inserted through the skin into Lynn's stomach. This will do away with the necessity of the NJ tube that is presently going into his nose. The advantage to the PEG tube is that there is less chance of the tube dislodging and being in the wrong place. This is a surgical procedure that they are hoping to do with a laparoscope but might have to do it openly. Because of the need for general anesthesia and pain medication, Lynn will be back on the ventilator for a couple of days. Also, because he has to have nothing in his stomach for at least 8 hours before the surgery, they will have to begin giving all of his meds and feedings through the IV again starting tomorrow night. The PEG tube will not be able to be used for 48 hours, so the IV stuff will continue for the 48 hours after surgery. Other than that, Lynn continues to be the same. He is still responding to painful stimuli by flexing his arms. He spontaneously yawns, moves his mouth and moves his head. These are all very basic movements, but at least he is doing them. I will try to continue to keep you updated, but please understand that I may not post every day if there is nothing new to report. I appreciate all the responses I received via phone and e-mail concerning the Long Term Acute Care situation. You are all great.

0 comments: