I've decided to set up a blog to help keep everyone updated on Lynn's progress. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and kind thoughts. Since I haven't always been able to answer each of your calls and texts, you can get updates on the blog. Please feel free to comment as I will be sharing this blog with Lynn as he recovers.

Also, posts before March 28 will say they were posted by my daughter because we set up the blog under her email address.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

OK, so here's the latest update. Lynn is tolerating his PEG tube feedings very well. They removed the NJ tube from his nose so he looks better. The plan is to transfer him to an LTAC (long term acute care) facility Monday. This has posed a real problem. There are only 2 facilities north of Salt Lake that are equipped with the ability to care for trach patients, especially if they are in a coma. They are South Davis in Bountiful and a relatively new acute care wing (2 years old) at Heritage Park in Roy. They both have respiratory therapists 24/7 and have the ability to do all of the skilled nursing. The wing at Heritage was a surprise to me as I had no idea they even had it. It is run by a respiratory therapy company and Heritage staffs the nurses and aids. It has a 20 bed capacity and they are all private rooms. As long as Lynn has a trach, he would qualify to be on that unit and not out in the regular "nursing home" floors. South Davis is well known for their ventilator and trach capability. Their acute care wing does not have private rooms, and Lynn would more than likely not qualify to stay on that wing very long since they have trachs and vents all over the facility. He would pretty much be guaranteed a roomate. I have checked out both facilities thoroughly, and my first choice for several reasons is Heritage. However, the following problem has arisen. Heritage is not in my insurance network, South Davis is. Heritage and my insurance company are presently in negotiations to see if they can do an individual contract so Lynn can go there. If they can't work it out, I will have no choice but to send him to South Davis. The really bigger problem is this. No matter where I send him, my insurance company will only pay for 60 days max in a long term care facility per calendar year. So my problem becomes this: what happens if Lynn is still in a coma and has a trach? We either have to apply for Medicaid (which we would not qualify for), or we pay out of pocket which is approximately $20,000 a month! So we need to pray extra hard for Lynn to wake up within 60 days so I can bring him home. I could bring him home anyway, but I would need to someone to care for him while I work (I do eventually need to go back to work!). That again would be very costly. So please continue to pray for Lynn. Waking up would really solve our problems. I should know by the end of tomorrow how negotiations with Heritage and the insurance company go. I'll let you know when I do.

0 comments: