I've decided to set up a blog to help keep everyone updated on Lynn's progress. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and kind thoughts. Since I haven't always been able to answer each of your calls and texts, you can get updates on the blog. Please feel free to comment as I will be sharing this blog with Lynn as he recovers.

Also, posts before March 28 will say they were posted by my daughter because we set up the blog under her email address.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Today has been a pretty eventful day. This morning the neuro team came in and did their daily neuro assessment. I have to say that it was the best neuro assessment I have seen so far. When they did painful stimulus (and I might add no one can do painful stimulus quite like the neuro team - ouch!), Lynn flexed both of this arms to about 90 degrees. He also moved his feet, and his eyes opened ever so slightly, but it's the first time he's done it. These are all very subtle but significant changes. The attending neurologist told us that they are very concerned about the sarcoidosis in his brain and they think they should treat it aggressively. Fortunately she told me about a fairly new medication that has had very promising results in the treatment of sarcoidosis in the brain and it is NOT a steroid. She said it has very different properties than steroids. She wants to make sure with the metabolic geneticist that it will not interfere with the treatment they are doing for his metabolic condition so they have not started it yet, but I am hopeful they will soon. They also decided that they wanted to trach him so they could get rid of the ET tube in his mouth. So this afternoon he was taken to the OR and trached and also had a lumbar puncture done. The spinal fluid was very clear, another good sign. I am so glad he has the tracheostomy. Now his poor lips will have a chance to heal. They look better already. Another great thing is that for over 24 hours now, his ICP levels have remained very low. So the next step is to see if Lynn will wake up. I can not tell you how much I want to feel him squeeze my hand when I ask him to and to have him open his eyes and know who I am. It has now been 17 days since he went into a coma at McKay. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. So again we wait. I would describe myself as more hopeful but guarded. We still have a long way to go, but good things are happening that keep me going. I continue to be amazed at the support and love Lynn and I are receiving. I will try to update tomorrow.

7 comments:

The Williams' said...

Tina - We're so glad to hear about Lynn's progress within the past 24 hours. It was good to see you last night and see you smile. As you can imagine, Jerry is looking forward to the day when he can hear Lynn's voice and tease the "little gomer"! We continue to pray and plead for his recovery. We'll continue to keep in touch and appreciate you keeping this blog updated. Take care....The Williams'

AlexFam said...

This is positive progress. Great news. We will contine to hope and pray for you all.

MaryJo said...

Wow !!! great news.
Wake up Lynn, you can do it.

Love,
MaryJo and Robin

Unknown said...

I would describe you as strong! We are praying Teeen. much love, Lori

Linda Roylance said...

We continue to pray for Lynn and put his name on the prayer roll in the Temple every week...you are both in our thoughts every day. Stay strong. Much love, the Roylance's

Kirsten said...

Tina,

What a great day ... the small tender mercies are what keeps us going! We continue to think and pray for you and Lynn's recovery.

Hugs always,
Kirsten

Haley Kraaima said...

We are so glad Lynn is starting to improve! We love you guys! Neil, Haley, Nicki, Evan and Cy Kraaima