I've decided to set up a blog to help keep everyone updated on Lynn's progress. I want to thank everyone for their prayers and kind thoughts. Since I haven't always been able to answer each of your calls and texts, you can get updates on the blog. Please feel free to comment as I will be sharing this blog with Lynn as he recovers.

Also, posts before March 28 will say they were posted by my daughter because we set up the blog under her email address.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Today I finally got respiratory to agree to downsize Lynn's trach. As I suspected, he tolerated it just fine. Now in another week or so, I will try to get them to plug it and let Lynn prove to them that he can breathe on his own. He has already demonstrated that when speech came last week. We deflated the cuff and plugged the trach for 5 minutes, and he was breathing just fine with no decline in his O2 saturations. My biggest challenge right now is that the insurance company is not satisfied with his progress and is wanting to know whether or not we are discharging or I am going to selfpay the rest of his stay. So I am now battling with them. Even though they agreed to pay 100% for 60 days, it turns out that if he is not making satisfactory progress, they can stop at any time. I think that's why I was finally able to get respiratory to agree to downsizing. I have requested progress reports from his neurologists in Salt Lake since his doctor at South Davis is not giving much progress in his reports. Of course, he stops in once in a while (I haven't seen him for 2 weeks) and says "Hello Mr. Kraaima" and when Lynn doesn't answer he says that there is no progress. He needs to talk to the nurses and aids who care for him who can report that he is now turning to look at them and occasionally tracking their movements. It's really too bad that an insurance company that he's paid into for 28 years can just decide to not pay anymore. On a more positive note, I have the best ward family in the world. Tonight I had a crowd (I stopped counting at 24) of High Priests, Elders, Young men and even some younger kids in my yard putting in a retaining wall in my garden. This involved digging a trench, shoveling sand into the trench, leveling it out, finding and modifying some sprinkler heads, laying the brick (two layers), and going to Lowes for more brick. It was an incredible sight. I am so grateful for such great neighbors and friends. The yard looks great. Lynn and I had bought the brick last year and planned on doing this project this spring. The neighbors just got together and got it done in about 3 hours. They have also been fixing my lawnmower, mowing my lawn while my mower was down, trimming and are constantly asking what else they can do. I am very humbled by the outpouring of love being shown to our family. Tomorrow evening I plan on starting my fast in preparation for the prayer being offered by the First Presidency in the temple on Thurday at 10:00. I once again invite anyone who would like to join with us to do so. God bless you all.

1 comments:

Cali Bruington said...

my prayers are always with you and your family... and with Lynn to get better and recover faster...